Saturday, August 15, 2009

We Are Family

As you may have noticed, many of my columns have had a softball theme to them. Even the title, “From The Booth”, comes from my days of announcing softball games at historic Finney’s West. This weekend the 45th annual Kiwanis Breakfast Club City Softball Tournament is taking place at Poerio Park. That is reason enough for another article with a softball motif, this time highlighting the first family of the game.

Having been involved with softball for the better part of two decades, I have managed, competed against and announced thousands of players in the city of Kenosha. Of this illustrious group there were many brothers, sisters, cousins, and even some fathers. You would think it would be difficult for me to distinguish one family that stands out from all the others.

It wasn’t.

There was one that immediately came to mind, the Llanas family. This was such an obvious choice, that I was able to field an entire lineup made up of exclusively Llanas kin, complete with manager. Don’t believe me? Check this out:

Pitcher – Danny Llanas
Catcher – Chico Llanas
First Baseman – Lionel Llanas
Second Baseman – Gilbert Llanas
Third Baseman – Art “Shorty” Llanas
Short Stop – Ricky Llanas
Outfielder – Rudy Llanas
Outfielder – David Llanas
Outfielder – Teddy Llanas
Outfielder – Victor Llanas
Midfielder – Helen Llanas
Manager – Pat Llanas

Of course you can’t play a game of softball without an umpire, so I offer you Ernie Llanas to call balls and strikes.

Still not impressed? Okay, performing the National Anthem before the All-Llanas softball team takes the field is none other than BoDeans front man, Sam Llanas. I know he’s not from Kenosha, but Waukesha is close enough.

From this talented roster, Danny, Art, Ricky and Helen have all played for me. I have cursed at Ernie when he umpired our games and have taken advice from Pat when he came to watch his sons and daughter play for the 400 Club. I worked with Victor at American Air Filter and I announced all of them when they played at Finney’s West.

I challenge anyone to come up with an entire squad made up entirely of one family. You might come up with four or five players, maybe a half dozen, but not eleven. Not being able to play ball the way the Llanas family could. Every one of them knew how to play the game.

So if you happen to be at Poerio Park this weekend, take a look around and I guarantee you will see a Llanas. I don’t know if any play anymore, but I am sure some will be in attendance, watching the game they once excelled at. Because that’s what the first family does. Until next time…from the booth.

No comments: