Friday, January 23, 2009

The More “Things” Change

I am sure that all of you have heard the saying, “The more things change the more they stay the same.” I know that saying all too well, because it seems that I am constantly being reminded of that fact in my personal life.

Certain “things” are a part of your life whether you want them to be or not. Some you enjoy and look forward to, maybe even embrace. Others are not so enjoyable and you must learn to deal with them.

Many of these “things” are there because of decisions you have made. You have control of these “things” to an extent. Whether you choose to do so or not is up to you. These are “things” you may be able to adjust.

But rest assured, there are some things in your lives that you have absolutely no control over. None. Zero. Zilch. Nada. These “things” are there whether you like them or not. One such “thing” is change.

Change is going to occur whether we like it or not. It just is. It is just a matter of whether or not you are going to accept the change. You can resist change, but doing so aren’t you, in effect changing? Think about it.

I have never been a big fan of change. I like “things” to be constant, to be predictable. That’s just me. It is better for me if I know what to expect. I imagine it is for most people. This is especially true when you come to truly enjoy something. You don’t want those “things” to change.

Surprise! They do.

You despise losing a job that you love. Unfortunately, it is happening far too often these days. You hate having long time relationships change or, worse yet, come to an end. Sadly, they do. You don’t want to see a favorite restaurant close, but it happens on a regular basis. You don’t expect to see a favorite radio personality unexpectedly taken off the air, but they are.

I have experienced all of these changes in my life and enjoyed absolutely none of them. Some were much tougher than others, but I dealt with them. The ironic thing is that I have become accustomed to these changes. I know if I become fond of, or comfortable with something it’s not going to last. It never does.

When I first wrote a column for the Daily Kenoshan on May 6th of last year I really liked it. Hopefully over the past nine months the columns have improved because the pleasure I got writing them definitely grew. I attempted to develop a style, closing each piece with, “Until next time…”

Well that nasty “thing” called change has reared its ugly head once again in my life. Due to recent changes with the Daily Kenoshan, there isn’t going to be a “next time.” I will, however, continue to express my thoughts in this blog. Therefore, until next time from The Booth…

No comments: