Sunday, September 29, 2013

Such A Deal

It soon could cost 49 cents to mail a letter. This past Wednesday, the postal Board of Governors said it wants to raise a first-class stamp by 3 cents, citing the agency’s “precarious financial condition” and the uncertain prospects for postal overhaul legislation in Congress. The independent Postal Regulatory Commission must approve the rate proposal. If the commission accepts it, the increase would become effective January 26, 2014.

It’s only 3 cents, so what’s the big deal? Well, to hear some people, you would think it is. These are the folks that bitch and moan every time the USPS has a rate increase. To those people, I say, “ARE YOU KIDDING ME?” Let’s see them get a letter from Kenosha, Wisconsin to St. Paul, Minnesota or Farmington Hills, Michigan for a half a buck. Plus, get it there in two or three days.

Personally, I think it’s a tremendous deal. Priority Mail is an even bigger bargain. For less than $6.00 I can ship my book anywhere in the United States. And, I don’t have to leave the house to do it.

Honest.

Recently, my longtime friend Karen messaged me in Facebook that she wanted to purchase a copy of Some Kenosha Softball. I received her payment in the mail late on Tuesday afternoon. At 8:30 Wednesday morning, I went online to schedule a Priority Mail pickup and to print a paid postage label. At 8:40 I was done and 20 minutes later the book was packed and the label was on the box, ready to be picked up by Mailman Mike.

Here is the itinerary for that package:

Picked up – Kenosha, WI on Sept. 25 at 4:12 pm
Dispatched to Sort Facility – Kenosha, WI on Sept. 25 at 6:21 pm
Processed at Sort Facility – Oak Creek, WI on Sept. 25 at 7:36 pm
Depart Sort Facility - Oak Creek, WI on Sept. 25
Processed at Sort Facility – Anchorage, AK on Sept. 27 at 11:48 am
Depart Sort Facility - Anchorage, AK on Sept. 27
Arrival at Post Office – North Pole, AK on Sept. 28 at 6:48 am
Delivered – North Pole, AK on Sept. 28 at 11:31 am

Did you notice the final destination? The North Pole in Alaska! All for only $5.15. Such a deal. Map Quest figures that the 3,417-mile journey would take approximately 58 hours and 19 minutes by car. The estimated fuel cost my 1995 Dodge Dakota Pickup truck would be $709.50.

Let’s see, $5.15 and I don’t have to leave the house or $709.50 and I have to drive for nearly 2 and half days… It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out which one I would choose. And did choose.

The United States Postal Service is an outstanding bargain. I have a suggestion for those unfortunate people that are so strapped that an extra 3 cents would put them in financial ruins. Buy a bunch of Forever stamps at 46 cents each before January 28. If you buy a roll of one hundred you would be saving a whopping $3.00. Just think, you could mail 100 letters all over the United States for only $46.00, even to North Pole, Alaska. Such a deal.

Until next time…from the booth.

No comments: