Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I Remember: Part One

I remember when the Chicago Cubs really were lovable losers. They are the team from the north side of Chicago who millions of people from all over the country root for, despite the fact that they haven't won the World Series since 1908.

This year marks the 100-year anniversary of that last triumph, so everyone is pulling for them to go all the way. Their torrid start this season, and a NL Central Division Championship, indicates this just might be the year for these lovable losers.

Anyone who knows me knows that I do not like the Chicago Cubs. I have a strong distain for all things Chicago, with the Cubs and Bears topping the list. The current success of the Cubs saddens me. Unfortunately, the 2008 Cubs are anything but losers. But I hearken back to a happier time, when the Cubs truly were losers.

Things were so bad at that time that Wrigley Field's upper deck would often be closed due to a lack of attendance. The few fans that did show up back in the '70s could be heard amusing themselves by stomping on empty cups. The "popping" sound would reverberate throughout the half empty ballpark. Those were good times.

I don't think anyone actually wants to watch a loser, lovable or otherwise. Yes, I remember when the Chicago Cubs really were lovable losers.

I also remember standing in the Recreation Department's parking lot at 2:30 on a cold morning in March, freezing my considerable backside off. I was joined in this foolish endeavor by a growing number of fellow softball zealots, all hoping to secure a precious spot in one of Kenosha's "City" leagues. We would stand in line, shuffling from one foot to the other, pretending not to be cold. But we were freezing, trust me.

When the doors to the Rec Department finally opened around 7:30, well over 100 of us rushed into the warm building - only to wait some more. Depending on your place in line, you might not get a chance to register your team until 11 o'clock. But it was all worth it if you were able to acquire that seemingly priceless spot for your team.

Yes, I remember also standing in the Recreation Department's parking lot at 2:30 on a cold morning in March, freezing my considerable backside off.

Coming up next, I will share my memories of fantasy football and a softball player getting booed for getting a base hit. Now, that's an interesting combination. Until then…From The Booth.

1 comment:

Leplume said...

My entire family is comprised of Cub fans. I used to be one too until I lived in Chicago (for four years) 6 houses away from the Waveland Ave. side of Wrigley Field. The constant shock of opening my apartment window to find Cub fans either passed out in my little yard or pissing on my tree made me change my mind.