Thursday, September 25, 2008

I Remember…Part Two

I remember when playing fantasy football meant I got to be Paul Hornung. It meant my younger brother was forced to be Willie Lanier of the Kansas City Chiefs, and he had to attempt to tackle me. When we got together at the "cottage", my dad and uncles would throw passes to us. They were Bart Starr, my cousins and I would be Boyd Dowler, Max McGee or Carroll Dale. When we caught the ball we would run for a touchdown against the Chicago Bears or the Minnesota Vikings.

We played our fantasy football on grass and dirt, or even better yet, snow. I didn't play fantasy football on a computer. No, I remember when playing fantasy football meant I got to be Paul Hornung.

Speaking of remembering, I remember watching a large crowd of fans at Simmons Field boo a Goofys of Minnesota player for getting a single. It was a clean base hit, and no, it wasn't against a Kenosha team. This heinous display of rudeness occurred during Sam "Finney" Perry's invitational softball tournament in the late '70s. Teams came from all over the country to participate in this prestigious competition.

Booing a player for getting a hit. You might be wondering why the good people of Kenosha would do such a thing. You are probably thinking it was totally uncalled for. Well, it wasn't! They were totally justified in booing him loudly. You see, nine of his teammates had just homered consecutively. That's right; nine straight Goofys players had all knocked the ball over the fence at expansive Simmons Field. After that incredible display of power, this guy had the gall and audacity to hit a measly single. Sheesh!

Yes, I remember watching a large crowd of fans at Simmons Field boo a Goofys of Minnesota player for getting a single. Next I will tell you about some angels being turned into lightning and someone using a donut as an alarm clock. Have I got your interest peaked? You will have to wait until next time…From The Booth.

No comments: