Thursday, March 26, 2009

Recap - Another Word For Rerun

With no disrespect to the late great Fred “Rerun” Berry, reruns on reality shows suck! That’s what last nights episode of Survivor was – a rerun and I was very disappointed. Because Fellow Survivor Geek Karen (FSGK) had petitioned for one of my infamous reviews, I felt obligated to watch the show immediately after my fantasy baseball draft.

My fantasy draft went swimmingly, as I procured Prince Fielder and it ended in a record breaking 38 minutes. So I started to view the latest episode of Survivor so I could review it in the morning. Much to my chagrin I discovered it was the dreaded recap show!

Desperate, I quickly shot off the following email to Fellow Survivor Geek Jamie (FSGJ) -

FSGJ,

I just started watching Survivor. Is it a friggin' recap show?


FSGP


Almost immediately I received this email in response –

FSGP,

I HATE THOSE!

Damn.


FSGJ


Needing a reason to waste my time watching this rehashed drivel, I waited until after 8:00 pm and called Fellow Survivor Geek Aunt Janet (FSGA) to get her take on the show before viewing it.

She answered the phone and uttered those loathsome words, “It’s a rerun, a recap show!” My stomach sank. Then it turned over when she told me to watch it anyways because one part will make you vomit. This piqued my interest.

Well, since I had recorded it, I might as well give it a look. I reluctantly clicked the remote and started the episode.

Emmy award winning host Jeff Probst promptly notified the viewers that you would be seeing previously unaired footage. Hmm, I have heard that before. It would be the typical blurred boob and crotch shots with a few behind the scene comments made by the competitors.

My hunch was correct. We got some “censored” shots of Debra, Sierra and the flaky Tyson. There was also Coach Svengali and Taj offering some less than insightful opinions on the direction of the game. Yes, just as I suspected.

But there was still the moment that FSGA spoke of in her phone call. What was going to be shown that would cause me to hurl? Sure there was some insect and minnow ingestion, but every die-hard Survivor Geek was immune to that. There had to be something else.

Then it happened!

We are shown some footage of Exile Island featuring Brendan and Stephen. They both started out by talking about “that special bond” that two people can only have on Exile Island.

Then Stephen went on and on about the amount of spooning that went on during their stay on Exile Island. Then we were treated to some of that previously unseen footage. This footage, coupled with Stephen’s graphic description of how wonderful the spooning was, provided us with more full blown (no pun intended) “bromance”.

Bromance has been a reoccurring theme this season on Survivor. Fortunately, being a veteran of much of Bravo’s programming, I wasn’t forced to retch. Unfortunately, it was the only memorable part of this recap/rerun show.

Next week I will, hopefully, be able to provide FSGK with a review of an original episode of Survivor Tocntins. The next time I see a “Rerun”, I want it to have Dwayne, Raj and Dee with it. Until next time…from the booth.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know, I know! I couldn't believe it was a rerun show! What the heck! I'm still ticked out about this.

Leplume said...

I too was ticked! What the heck!! I mean is it really necessary to recap this already?? The funny part about the spooning thing was that at that time I kind of wandered off to the kitchen and forgot about the show. I walked back in just in time to see the two of them snuggling up. I missed the part that explained who they were and that they were on Exile Island! My brain played catch up and I realized who it was and why but, holy moly, for a minute there I thought I had stumbled onto an episode of some other show! LOL