Friday, June 26, 2009

Crushes

Farrah Fawcett, 62, died Thursday morning at St. John's Health Center in Santa Monica. Fawcett played Jill Munroe in the original cast of the 1970s TV show Charlie's Angels. Though her death is tragic and heart-rending, it does bring back many happy memories of Fawcett. The show made her a star and she briefly became America's hottest pin-up; a famous poster of her wearing a red swimsuit plus her lush mane of blonde hair sold a reported 12 million copies.

Although not a huge fan of the show, I will admit to having owned a copy of that poster. Being an eighteen-year-old male at the time, it somehow seemed appropriate. The thing is that I am not really sure whether or not I had a crush on Miss Fawcett. However there were other women that I definitely did have a crush on.

Thinking back, there were quite a few ladies that I was infatuated with as I grew up, some to the point of obsession. Here is a list of the members of the fairer sex that I had a short-lived passion for.

The first one that comes to mind is Karen Valentine. She is best known for her role as schoolteacher "Alice Johnson" in the TV series Room 222. The only teacher I had that was even close to her was Miss Miller at Lance Junior High.

Julie Newmar was another early crush. Her most famous role is Catwoman in the Batman television series. It just might have been the costume…

Eve Plumb is best known for her portrayal of Jan Brady in the television sitcom The Brady Bunch from 1969–74. Jan, Jan, Jan!

Dawn Wells is best known for her role as Mary Ann Summers on the sitcom Gilligan's Island from 1964 until 1967. Ginger was too obvious for me.

There was a strict obsession with Dorothy Hamill the figure skater. She is the 1976 Olympic champion. I gladly paid the library fine when I didn’t return the Sports Illustrated magazine featuring Hamill on the cover.

Connie Needham is best known for her role as Elizabeth Bradford on the television series Eight is Enough, which she played from 1977 to 1981.

I have had a long time crush on Elaine Joyce. She made guest appearances in such series as The Andy Griffith Show, The Red Skelton Show, Love, American Style, Kojak, Green Acres, and Hawaii Five-O, and was a regular panelist on Match Game. Thank goodness for the Game Show Network.

Another one of my crushes that shows up on GSN is Markie Post. She is best known for her 1985–1992 role as public defender Christine Sullivan on the NBC sitcom Night Court.

Valerie Landsburg is best known for her role as Doris Schwartz in the 1982 series Fame. There was some inexplicable quality about her that made me watch Fame religiously.

Crystal Bernard is best known as strong-willed airport lunch-counter operator Helen Chappel Hackett on the sitcom Wings from1990-1997. She also played K.C. Cunningham on Happy Days and Amy Tompkins on It’s a Living.

Another sitcom female that I had a crush on was Heather Langenkamp who played Marie Lubbock on the television series Just the Ten of Us from 1988 to 1990.

Lea Thompson is best known for her lead character in the 1990s NBC series Caroline in the City. We had better not discuss her role in All the Right Moves…

Another “athlete” that I had a soft spot for was Lace (Marisa Pare) who was an original American Gladiator and competed from 1989-1992. Once I saw those lacey red tights she had me.

Holly Hallstrom was one of the models ("Barker's Beauties") on the daytime game show The Price Is Right, from 1977–1995. I still despise Bob Barker for causing her dismissal.

Although Loni Anderson was the pin-up girl, I preferred Jan Smithers who portrayed Bailey Quarters on the television series WKRP in Cincinnati. I guess it’s like Ginger and Mary Ann. Go figure.

And finally there is Punky Bruiser (Marta Mendoza) who starred in A&E’s 2006 Rollergirls and has had roles in the films Death Proof and Grindhouse. I have never seen either of the movies, but I do own an autographed photo of Punky.

Rest in peace Farrah and thank you for bringing back some old and a few not-so-old fond memories. Until next time…from the booth.

3 comments:

Leplume said...

First, let me say, I LOVE that you have an autographed photo of Punky Bruiser! Second, I love Fame and always thought that Patty F. would have made a great Doris!

Though I don't remember having any crushes on anyone on any of the shows you mentioned, just reading about those shows makes me wish/hope that TVLand starts showing some of those shows!! Maybe we can start a petition to have them start showing Fame! :)

Unknown said...

Paul, what about the girl from the tv show "Family" she had dark hair thin youg lady, I can't remember her name.(Natalie?)wasn't she a crush for you?

Paul E. Vagnoni said...

I am not sure Sharon. Are you thinking about Kristy McNichol? I don't know if I had a crush on her. I did hear some very disturbing things about her though…