Sunday, June 14, 2009

Are You Tuned In?

Have you ever noticed that people are always talking about what they watch on TV? At the water cooler we typically hear questions like “Did you see American Idol last night?” Can you believe what happened on CSI?” “Wasn’t Biggest Loser fantastic?” Americans are infatuated with television. According to Nielsen research, the average American has television usage habits that include watching television for more than 4 hours every day. What about radio?

How much do we listen to the radio? When I Googled “How much radio do Americans listen to?” I got responses like, “Did you mean: How much cardio do Americans listen to” and “Similar questions with percent Americans listen Rush Limbaugh radio”, but nothing to answer my question.

Well, I for one listen to the radio quite a bit. Turning it on is one of the first things that I do in the morning and setting the “sleep” feature on it is the last thing I do when I go to bed. Oh, I definitely turn it off periodically, but I do listen to plenty throughout the day.

Just how much and to what?

There are six presets for both the AM and the FM on my Bose Music System. The AM six are:

1. 540 ESPN - Sports
2. 670 WSCR - Sports
3. 720 WGN – News/ Talk
4. 1000 WMVP - Sports
5. 1050 WLIP – News/Talk
6. 1250 WSSP – Sports

Although I primarily listen to AM, I have set the FM presets as follows:

1. 93.1 WXRT - Adult-oriented Rock
2. 94.5 WLWK – Adult Hits
3. 96.5 WKLH – Classic Hits
4. 96.9 WWDV – Classic Hits
5. 97.3 WQBW – ‘80s Rock
6. 99.1 WMYX – Adult Contemporary

On a normal day I will wake up around 6:00 am and listen to Bill Lawrence’s “Wake-Up Call on WLIP as I go through my customary early morning routine. The show is a good source for what’s happening around Kenosha and Lawrence’s bubbly personality is contagious.

After 8:00 am, I might bounce around the dial a bit, but usually just turn the radio off. That could very well change tomorrow as Dan McNeil and Matt Spiegel return to the “Score” at 9:00 am. It will be interesting to hear how this new show evolves. Spiegel has been a long time favorite and I am anxious for his return to the airwaves.

At 11:00 am it’s time for “The D-List” on 540 ESPN, featuring Drew Olson and Dan Needles. This program provides me with my Wisconsin sports fix. I usually listen until around 12:45 pm when “The Prince of Darkness” - Tom Haudricourt’s segment is finished.

The Bose is usually quiet until 6:00 pm when I tune into “The Game” with Bill Johnson and Steve Haywood, another fine show on 540 ESPN. You would have to search long and far to find two radio hosts that are more amusing than this duo. I laugh out loud every time they discuss the Brett Favre saga, especially when Johnson brings up the “Bugtussle Mafia”.

After 7:00 pm the radio rests once again until I turn in for the evening. As I drift off, what I listen to varies depending on the night of the week. On the weekend it will definitely be Nick Digilio on WGN. This is easily the funniest and most entertaining overnight show. To me, Digilio is better than any lullaby.

Besides Digilio’s shows, there are only two other shows that I make a point to listen to. On Saturday at 9:00 am the dial is tuned to 540 for their Fantasy Sports Weekly show. The trio of Frank Cossentino, Scott Wisniewski and Matt Salmon deliver plenty of sports knowledge while dispensing just enough wackiness to keep me listening.

The other weekend show that I am faithful to is the quirky TRadio show that airs on WLIP Saturdays from noon to 2:00 pm. Billed as Kenosha's radio rummage sale, it is much more than that. Host Jim Selovich, a comedian and actor, has been known to transform the show into a bawdy variety show. You never know what to expect.

Based on the above schedule, I listen to between 6 and 8 hours a day during the week. On weekends, it probably “drops off” to 4 hours each day. What can I say? Radio leaves you free to do so many other things as you listen. It’s the best of many worlds.

Better wrap it up, the Brewers game is over now and I have to tune into the Lowe’s Extra Innings show on 540 ESPN. Until next time…from the booth.

No comments: