Thursday, July 23, 2009

A Friend In Need

Back in September I wrote a column titled “I Remember…Part Three” about an incident involving my good friend Leon Rosko. Today I am writing about Leon again. That first column was somewhat humorous, as many situations concerning Leon were. He is a charismatic, gregarious fellow who loves to laugh, even when it is at his own expense. Leon has always been a kind, generous man, sometimes to a fault. Today’s column isn’t funny and this time Leon needs his friends' help and generosity.

Many readers of my column know Leon Rosko. He was the owner/operator of Finney’s West for many years. Anyone who has played softball knows Leon. In recent years, he has worked at Dairyland Greyhound Park and the Moose Lodge. He is still involved in softball, organizing and running leagues for Moose Lodge.

Despite being so well known locally, Leon has always been a very private man. With that in mind, I will not go into too many details when I tell you why he needs our help. He has been dealing with some serious physical problems for the past few years. A recent setback has prevented him from working at all since late last year.

This inability to work and a multitude of medical bills that have stretched his insurance to the limit, leave Leon needing some help. Knowing Leon, he will probably be upset that I am writing this. Too bad. He needs help. We all have needed help. I have and you have. I can’t imagine where I would be without the help that I have received.

That being said, Rich Smart and the good people at Moose Lodge #286 have stepped forward and are holding a fundraiser for Leon. The event will take place Saturday night at 7:00 pm. The Lodge is located at 3003 30th Avenue in Kenosha. The admission is only $5.00 and donations are encouraged.

The fundraiser is being held during the Moose’s annual “Miss Moose America Pageant”. I am told the event will be not only be entertaining, but maybe even a bit bawdy! Without giving too much away, the contestants in the pageant are very unique.

Leon Rosko Fundraiser
Saturday July 25, 2009
“Miss Moose America”
Show starts at 7:00 pm

Moose Lodge #286 (262) 657-7831

3003 30th Avenue, Kenosha

Let’s have some fun and give a friend some help. Please make sure you tell people about this fundraiser. Email your friends and let them know. Even if you can’t be there on Saturday night, drop a contribution off at the Moose. They will make sure Leon gets it. Or call me at 551-0710 and I will see that your help gets to him. Thanks in advance. Until next time…from the booth.

No comments: