Thursday, October 1, 2009

Good One Kiddo

Being a creature of habit, I love routines. Doing specific things at specific times make me happy. That’s just the way I am. For me, Thursday is Survivor. Each Thursday, the first time I go on facebook, I change my profile picture to the adorable one you see at the left, then in Pogo I change my mini to the “Survivor Mode” avatar. Dinner must be done by 6:30 pm so that I have plenty of time to get my notepads and pencils ready. At 7:00 pm it’s time to watch the show and take copious notes. Once the final credits have rolled, it’s time to start writing. But not before one crucial thing has taken place.

The phone call to Fellow Survivor Geek Auntie Janet.

It is a must! It’s been a part of my Survivor routine for the last three seasons. As soon as Jeff Probst has finished tallying the votes, announced who has been ousted and dismisses the losing tribe back to their camp, I call FSG Auntie Janet. I have to.

The call is usually a short one and is finished before the next week’s coming attractions are shown. But it is a vital part of my Survivor routine. Not only is her opinion valued, but also many times the conversation gives me the theme for my column. Tonight was one of those times.

When I made the ubiquitous phone call and asked what she thought of the episode, her response said it all very succinctly.

“Good One Kiddo.”

And you know what? She was right. It may not have been the flashiest or most exciting Survivor that I have ever seen, but it was a good one. Good enough to make me roar, “All right!” when Probst told the repugnant Ben that the tribe had spoken and he should hit the bricks. Usually such exuberance is saved for Prince Fielder home runs.

What made tonight’s program first-rate was that it featured the classic good vs. evil paradigm, with evil being sent home. It was good to see Jaison stand up for what was right and convince the rest of the Fao Fao bunch to get rid of that vile redneck Ben. Heck, Jaison even persuaded Hantz the sock burner to see things his way.

The confrontation between Ben and Jaison at Tribal council was as contentious as any in recent memory. Poor Natalie had genuine terror in her eyes as she squirmed, wedged in between the two combatants as they angrily spouted their opinions. Survivor veteran Susan Hawk would have been proud.

Jaison, easily the more eloquent of the two, made Ben look foolish. And if possible, Ben was more loathsome with each sentence he attempted to put together. It was most encouraging to see that the vote was unanimous. Jaison did good.

That being said, if next week’s coming attractions are any indication, Jaison’s days in the limelight are probably numbered. What can I say, it’s Survivor.

Random Observations: Dr. Mick and Jaison are both two feet taller than Hantz the sock burner… Each episode Shambo’s mullet grows in magnificence…The Galu tribe, although undefeated in challenges, are a bunch of idiots…Despite being issued more “conservative” swimwear for the challenge, Natalie still had to be gelled…Shambo provided the quote of the evening when she exclaimed, “I’m not in the 90210 clique!”

Next week should be interesting. Hopefully Fao Fao can win the Immunity Challenge and send Galu to Tribal Council. Perhaps a little adversity for Galu would make FSG Auntie Janet say, “Good one kiddo” again. Until next time…from the booth.

2 comments:

FSG Karen said...

I love your Survivor icon! It looks like you were actually on one of the shows!

Even though my girl Beth got knocked out so soon, I'm really enjoying this season. Guess I should make another pick . . . but I don't want to jinx anyone!!!

Paul E. Vagnoni said...

FSG Karen, what do you mean looks like I was actually on one of the shows!? Hee hee. Go ahead and make another pick.

FSG Mary, although Shambo's mullet is definitely magnificent, it does scare me a little bit. And yes, you might have mentioned that you love this show. But…SO DO I!!!