Monday, November 23, 2009

Battle Of The Runner-Ups

It seems that I missed quite a bit last night when I chose to watch the Eagles/Bears game rather than the American Music Awards. Evidently, last season’s American Idol silver medalist caused quite a stir on the award show by simulating a sex act and fervently kissing his male keyboardist. The night before, Susan Boyle, the second-place finisher from Britain’s Got Talent, performed a cover of the Rolling Stones' hit "Wild Horses" on British TV show X-Factor.

Subsequently, it comes as no great surprise that both performers have albums that debut this week.

British reality TV singing sensation Boyle's debut album went on sale Monday, having already become the most pre-ordered CD in the history of online retailer Amazon. Following her appearance on X-Factor, she then flew to New York where she performed at the city's Rockefeller Plaza and made media appearances.

Lambert's performance, two days before his debut album "For Your Entertainment" was released, has the Internet world buzzing. EW.com’s veteran American Idol reporter, Michael Slezak, had the following to say about Lambert:

“Talk about “No Boundaries”: Adam Lambert made his first big post-Idol splash tonight, closing the American Music Awards with a performance of his debut single “For Your Entertainment” that - to my surprise and disappointment - emphasized shock-and-awe imagery over his standard-operating vocal excellence.”


Honestly, I don’t plan on buying the 48-year-old Boyle’s "I Dreamed a Dream" CD or the 27-year-old Lambert’s "For Your Entertainment" CD. However, I will probably purchase a couple of Boyle’s songs, when they are available on iTunes.

That will not be the case with her American counterpart. Nothing about Lambert appeals to me.

I have seen both of the artists sing during on their respective reality shows. Boyle’s audition is now a legend on YouTube. The first time I saw it, I teared up. What can I say? I cry each time I watch the movie “Bang The Drum Slowly”.

Mr. Lambert’s music does not have the same effect on me. I went to YouTube to see why his AMA production was causing such a buzz. I will let you be the judge. It just conjured up past memories of Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera, causing me to vomit a little in my mouth.

Granted, I don’t, as a rule, watch American Idol. The last time I watched with any regularity, some girl by the name of Carrie Underwood was declared the winner. I guess I got out while the winners still amounted to something.

Now, because of my lovely friends “across the pond”, I see more clips of the aforementioned X-Factor and Britain’s Got Talent than I watch American Idol. And for this, I would like to thank Bev, Debbie, Sue, Margaret, Christine and Mandy. Thank you!

Therefore, in my very unofficial “Battle Of The Reality Runner-Ups”, I must admit that I have a considerable British bias. Sorry, but I have to be honest. So, without further adieu, the winner is:


Apparently, because I prefer a dowdy Brit with a lovely voice to an edgy, androgynous glam-rocker, I have now officially become a curmudgeon. But you know what? I am okay with that.

Because Survivor Samoa is a “recap” episode this week, I will be treating all of my Koos fans (you know who you are) to a very special Thanksgiving installment. Until then…from the booth.

7 comments:

Karen said...

Hi Paul,
I got all the disgusting details I could stand on "The View" this morning regarding Lambert's performance. Ms. Boyle is so refreshing and she even looks pretty on her album cover-who knew?! Shock entertainment is not what I am looking for these days, and quite frankly I am SICK OF IT. If that makes me a curmudgeon I am in good company. Having spouted off on that subject-your fault Paul-I wait with bated breath for our KOOS Thanksgiving goody. GOBBLE GOBBLE!

Paul E. Vagnoni said...

I will take the blame Karen. I better get to work on that very special Thanksgiving Koos blog…

Sue said...

Thank you Paul for such a well articulated description of two quite different singers (having never seen Lambert I am going on your description). Lambert sounds a 'sensation seeking' individual who should never be on TV. Thank you for the mention of your friends across the 'pond'. Look forward to your Thanksgiving script eagerly.

Paul E. Vagnoni said...

Thank you Sue. Sorry that you aren't able to see Lambert's performance on YouTube, they have pulled it off already.

I don't feel his act was appropriate for over the air TV, especially since he was a product of American Idol. Kids don't need to see that.

Then again, maybe I'm just a prude.

Leplume said...

You're no prude. I'm not put off by the shock value...it's just that he was AWFUL! Off key, screaming and posing. UGH! The worst of the worst. But then again, so was almost everybody else on that show. When did American music become so wretched?

Anonymous said...

Paul, I did not need to see Lambert's performance - your description was good enough. It is a great pity that TV do not use their 'power' to 'cut' 'performances'like this but they will not because they think they will gain viewers when in fact they lose. Lambert's 'career' sounds like it could be over - before it even really started. Susan Boyle, of course, is the exact opposite and I am not saying that because she is from the UK !

Karen Rorek said...

I dislike "shock factor" performances in general but right before an album release is nothing but self-serving. It makes me feel used and turns me off. I won't buy Lambert's songs.