Sunday, August 29, 2010

They Are…

In my previous blog, “Who Are You? Who, Who, Who, Who?” I posted the pictures of ten that have made me smile at one time or another in my life. Please don’t read too much into the fact that they are all men. Jamie and Patty 4-Names instantly questioned the fact that there were no ladies in the group. I quickly brought up my blog titled, “Crushes”, dated June 26, 2009. This blog lists no less than 17 lovely lasses that have provided me many a smile over the years. Please feel free to read whatever you like into that!

As you recall, I didn’t include the names of these ten gentlemen: just a few minor hints. I challenged you to come up with their names. Several of you did well; coming up with four or five and Greg even nailed the one that I thought was the most difficult. Without further ado, it’s time to reveal just who these guys are.

1. Mark Brouhard was a seldom-used outfielder for the Milwaukee Brewers from 1980 to 1985. During their American League Championship season in 1982 he only had 108 at bats, with 4 homers and 10 RBI.

However in game 4 of the 1982 ALCS, he went 3 for 4, with a double, a homer, scored 4 runs with 3 RBI. And I was in the leftfield bleachers at rainy County Stadium cheering him on with Jimmy Gentile, Bill Meurer and Kevin Hoff. Thanks “Brou” for a great memory.

2. George Owens portrayed by Bob Uecker on the Mr. Belvedere sitcom. Many of you guessed Bob Uecker, but I wanted the character’s name. The six seasons of Mr. Belvedere ran from March 15, 1985 (1985-03-15) – July 8, 1990. Thanks “Ueck” for the laughs.

3. Omar Little is a character on the HBO drama The Wire, portrayed by Michael K. Williams. Omar is a renowned stick-up man who lives by a strict code and never deviates from his rules, foremost of which is that he never robs or menaces people who are not involved in ‘the game’. Omar, who is gay, is the only major character on the series that claims to make a point of not using profanity.

When testifying in court, attorney Maurice Levy called him a parasite who thrived on the drug trade, Omar then pointed out that Levy was essentially the same thing, saying “I got the shotgun, you got the brief case…all in the game though”. Without a doubt my favorite TV character of all time; no one even comes close. Thanks Omar for hours of enjoyment.

4. Robert De Niro portrayed catcher Bruce Pearson in the 1973 movie Bang The Drum Slowly. This one was fairly easy. This is my favorite sports movie. Thanks Robert for making me cry every time that I watch it.

5. Gino Cavallini played for Calgary Flames, St. Louis Blues and Quebec Nordiques in the NHL before playing for the Milwaukee Admirals in the IHL. Cavallini was a “grinder” during his NHL days before joining the Admirals in the IHL. During his three seasons in the “I” he became a top scorer, scoring 248 points in 240 games. Thanks Gino for kicking the snot out of that ne’er do well from the Atlanta Knights that crosschecked you back in 1995.

6. Anthony Dellaventura is a former member of the NYPD turned private eye played by Danny Aiello in this 1997 TV series. Dellaventura rounds up a bunch of crackerjack crime fighters to right wrongs that are beyond the reach of the criminal justice system. Alas, it only lasted one short season.

However, before the series ended it did provide me with a memorable quote. “I'm going to interview Danny, and then me and Dellaventura are going to go beat up some punks.”
- David Letterman. Thanks Dellaventura for making TV a safer place on Monday nights in 1997.

7. Gary Taylor is a British strongman from Wales who won the World Strongest Man competition in 1993. Taylor is a physical education instructor in the prison service and although he is as tough as they come, with his pleasant disposition and rugged involvement, he is very popular in strength circles, where he is usually very polite and humorous. Thanks Gary for carrying and lifting crazy-heavy things better than anyone else in 1993.

8. Ken Ober hosted the MTV game show Remote Control from 1987 to 1989. This wacky TV show also provided us with Colin Quinn and Adam Sandler. Ober died at his home in Santa Monica on November 15, 2009, at the age of 52. Thanks Ken for hosting a game show with a great opening theme song:
“Kenny wasn't like the other kids (Remote Control)

TV mattered, nothing else did (Remote Control)

Girls said yes, but he said no (Remote Control)

Now he's got his own game show (Remote Control!)”
9. Kevin Hunt is Sports Director currently at KPNX in Phoenix, he was formerly of Today’s TMJ4. Hunt was always entertaining while delivering the sports on TMJ4, never taking anything too seriously, including himself. Thanks Kevin for being way funnier than any of the mopes on ESPN, you are missed.

10. Gene Oborny is a former priest at St. Mary’s Catholic Church, currently the administrator of CedarWood Christian Academy in Aurora Colorado. I thought that only Alaskan Karen would get this one. You see, we were both in “Father Gene’s” youth group at St. Mary’s back in the ‘70s. Greg, who was also in the youth group, knew that it was Oborny in the picture. I had completely forgotten that Greg was in the group and for that I apologize to him.

One thing that I will never apologize for is having known Gene Oborny and having been a part of his youth group. This man taught me more about the Bible and faith in God then anyone else in my life. More than 35 years later, I still have the small New Testament that he gave me. It is barely held together with masking tape. But I will treasure it and everything that he has taught me forever. Thank you Gene most of all.

That’s it. Until next time…from the booth.

No comments: