Saturday, November 5, 2011

R.I.P. Andy Rooney

Last night when Andy Rooney passed away at age 92, we lost a legend. It was only one month ago when he delivered his final “A Few Minutes With Andy Rooney” on “60 Minutes”. It was the 1097th commentary from the iconic TV curmudgeon. His first came on July 2, 1978 when he complained about people who kept track of how many people died in car accidents on holiday weekends. On May 23, 2010 I attempted to write a blog in the style of this famous grouch. As an homage to Mr. Rooney, I am reposting that blog this morning.

You Ever Wonder Why?

I have been a bit derelict in my blogging duties as of late and I offer my sincerest apologies. Lately my book has occupied a majority of my time. So you can understand that when I wasn’t doing book stuff, more writing was the last thing that I wanted to do. I am not sure whether that is a valid excuse or not. Maybe it’s not because I do feel a bit guilty. Therefore I decided to take a moment or two to introduce a new semi-regular feature called “You Ever Wonder Why?”

Once a week or whenever the spirit moves me I will shoot out a quick blog about a random conundrum. They will be done in the style of Andy Rooney, the crusty curmudgeon from 60 Minutes, hence the name of the feature.

Today is the first day of an extended period of extremely warm weather. Weather prognosticators are calling for temperatures to be in the mid 80s for the next four or five days. When you mix in dew points near 70, I don’t call it warm. To me it’s simply uncomfortable.

With that weather forecast in mind, I pose my first “You Ever Wonder Why?” How come some people don’t think twice about cranking the heat up the instant they feel cold? Yet these same people are extremely reluctant to turn on the air conditioning when it is hot. You ever wonder why?

Maybe these folks feel that AC is some sort of luxury item that should only be used on very special occasions. Like when somebody is all shiny and lying on the floor covered in a pool of his or her own sweat.

Perhaps, while frostbite and hypothermia should be avoided at all costs, it is okay to be suffering from heat prostration and hyperthermia. Is one condition really more acceptable than the other?

Or is that it that running the AC when it’s hot costs considerably more than when you keep the house at a toasty 72° in the winter time? I don’t know, I’m just asking. Does one really cost more than the other?

Finally, you ever wonder why these people have not realized that you can always put on more clothes when you are cold? On the other hand, when you are hot you can only take off so much before it just gets plain ugly. I ain’t saying, I’m just saying.

If anyone can help me with this rather perplexing question, please feel free to leave me a comment.

R.I.P. Andy Rooney, you will be missed. Until next time…from the booth.

No comments: