Monday, March 31, 2014

Not So Funny


Tomorrow is the Spring Election in Kenosha. It is also the first of April, otherwise known as April Fools’ Day. Oh the irony. But you won’t find any jokes here. Nope. Politics, although I generally disdain them, are important. Especially on the local level. Unfortunately, they are also very sleazy and contentious. Especially on the local level. And this is not so funny.

On tomorrow’s ballot the people of Kenosha will be voting for a couple of Judges, two County positions, Alderman, and the School Board. The Judicial and County races are a slam-dunk. All candidates are running unopposed. Maybe that’s a good thing, maybe it’s not.

That’s not the case for many of the Aldermanic races and the School Board. My Alderman, Rocco LaMacchia, Sr. is running unopposed. Which is fine. Rocco is a good man and is doing a great job. He always answers his phone when I need him.

Regrettably, several of the other Aldermanic races and the School Board contest aren’t so pleasant and clear-cut. They are heated, unsavory and messy. They aren’t pretty and, again, they aren’t so funny.

Not at all.

I’m not going to get into details on this blog. Anybody on the World Wide Web can see it and I don’t need any extra unpleasantness in my life. And in case you think I am being over cautious, consider this: I recently commented on a political post on Lenny Palmer’s Facebook page. Evidently a certain Kenosha Alderman didn’t appreciate my remarks because he suddenly sent me a Facebook “friend” request. Coincidence? I think not.

I respectfully declined his request. I have heard too many stories about what happens when you cross this guy. I don’t need any “visits” from him or his people.

As far as the School Board goes, that situation might be even uglier. There is now money and influences getting into the picture from outside of the city and, dare I say, outside of the state. These are people with an agenda that are used to getting their way.

All this being said, I still encourage you to get out and vote. Vote for the candidate that is best for you. It’s your civic duty. I was going to say vote with your heart, but that wouldn’t appropriate in this case. Vote with your head. Be smart. And remember, it might be April Fools’ Day, but this stuff isn’t so funny.

Until next time…from the booth.

No comments: