Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Words Have Meanings


People that know me will tell you that I love to talk. A 90-minute phone call is nothing for me; it’s a walk in the park. I also enjoy writing. I first realized this when I went back to school to get an Associate degree in graphic design at Gateway. And I thank my instructor Randy Mueller for bringing me to this realization. Talking and writing. What do these two things have in common? Words. And words have meanings.

Because what we say is meaningful, I think it is important to choose our words carefully. There are people in my life that get upset when I question what they say to me. When I repeat to them what they just said, I will get the reply, “Well, that’s not what I saying. You know what I meant.” Hey, I’m not a mind reader. I only know what you said.

Personally, I make an effort to think about what I say before I say it. When speaking, this isn’t always easy. Believe me, I know this from experience. I have placed one of my size 12 extra wide feet in my mouth more often than I care to admit. That’s why as I grow older I am trying to be more conscientious before voicing my opinion.

When writing it is a bit easier when choosing your words. At least for me it is. It might take a little bit longer, but it is well worth it when you are attempting to express your thoughts.

This is particularly evident in Facebook. With capitalization and punctuation having gone the way of the dinosaur, deciphering some people’s comments can be a real challenge. Especially when it something you really care about.

Enough pontificating on the usage of words. However, while on the subject of things you really care about on Facebook, I need to say something.

When a friend posts that a loved one is very ill or has passed, I am as guilty as anybody for typing, “you are in my thoughts and prayers.” Maybe its because I am at a loss for words, or it’s the easy way out. Whenever I make this response, it is always with sincerity. Unfortunately, many times it ends there. Oh, I will think about the sick one or the person that has passed, and include them in my prayers, but I need to do more.

That’s why I am sincerely going to make a concentrated effort to say more prayers for those people that I said I would. After I post this I need to pray for a friend of mine, the Wizard. He’s in rough shape up at St. Lukes in Milwaukee. I said I would and words have meanings.

Until next time…from the booth.

No comments: