Monday, November 24, 2008

It Ain't Fair!

When I was young, oh so many years ago, I got used to certain things. Sure as I grew up, new things were introduced to me, but I still wanted my old "standards" to be there as well. When the things that I had grown accustom to would change or go away, it left me sad and a little angry. If I enjoyed something, I wanted it to be around forever!

In my young mind I felt that if something was good and provided me with, not only enjoyment, but also a sense of security, why should it be taken away from me? With my juvenile intellect I just could not comprehend this loss that I was experiencing. It didn't matter to me what the reason was, it just didn't seem "fair".

Over the years, I have learned that, usually, "fair" isn't part of the equation. In fact, having grown up (well, sort of), I have come to cringe when I hear adults bitching and moaning and declaring something is not "fair." Don't they get it? Things change for the good and, far too often, for the bad. The sooner that we as a mature human beings quit expecting life to be "fair", the easier it will be for us to deal with the changes in our lives.

Certainly there are different levels of change in our lives. Changes that take away things we once treasured. It may be as simple as something that makes our life more comfortable or pleasurable. It may be a relationship ending or a change with our occupation. The most emotional is when we have to adapt to a loved one being taken from us.

I do not mean to diminish the effect or misery that changes have caused in any others lives. Having experienced all of these changes in my life, I didn't like any of them. I fully understand that there is no "fair" guarantee in our life here on earth. But it doesn't mean that I have to like it. I accept it, but I do not embrace it.

Sorry for being so cryptic. I have written this column in anticipation of something that is about to change in my life. Nothing major, just something that over the past seven months I have grown very fond of. I have a very strong sense that it is about to be taken from me, for it has already begun to change. And you know what? It ain't "fair!" Until Next Time…From the Booth.

No comments: