Sunday, June 30, 2013

Random Rambling…

When I write a blog I typically have a specific topic or theme. That’s not the case here. Nope, today I am just going to spout off about things in general. This is just stuff that has been going through my oversized melon the past few days. My last two blogs have been originals; not reposts. I have been working my way up to getting back to working on my book. We shall see. Before that, I simply feel like reflecting on some fairly innocuous subjects. Merely some random rambling…

I am a creature of habit. Big time. I appreciate things happening in a certain order. Not being a fan of change, I like to know what to expect next. No surprises for me, give me what I am comfortable with. If I enjoy something, I want it to be there for me to continue enjoying.

This is why I think WGN radio stinks.

Thursday night when I plopped into bed, I hit preset number 3 on my Bose radio. Number three is WGN 720 and at 10:30 pm Turi Ryder should be yakking about something. Turi is on Monday thru Thursday from 10:00 pm-1:00 am. Her show is what I have been going to sleep to since she took over for Milt Rosenberg six months ago. It had become part of my routine.

That suddenly came to a screeching halt when Turi announced that this was her final show.

Seems that WGN, in their infinite wisdom, was changing their schedule yet again. This got me to digging around the Internet to find what or who was replacing Turi.

Boy was surprised when I found the new schedule. Please remember, I don’t like surprises.

Not only are they axing Turi’s show, they are eliminating the WGN Sports Night show that was on weeknights from 7:00-10:00. Although the show was mainly Chicago sports and featured the pompous David Kaplan as one of it’s hosts, I listened to it on occasion. Along with Kaplan, Brian Noonan and Andrea Darlas also hosted. This served to counter Kaplan’s arrogance and self-importance and made the show fairly entertaining.

But WGN Sports Night is also gone.

In it’s place? The David Kaplan Show from 7:00 to midnight, Monday thru Friday. Nice, huh? Not only have two decent shows been eradicated, they are being replaced by five hours of the pretentious Kaplan’s special brand of patronizing blather. The icing on the cake is that it pushes the über-popular Nick Digilio show on Friday nights from 10:00 pm-2:00 am to midnight-5:00 am Saturday morning. That is the final straw.

Like I said, WGN radio stinks.

While I am rambling about Chicago related things, let’s discuss which of Chicago’s sports team “owns” the city of big shoulders. The reason I bring this up is because Chicago Tribune sports writer David Haugh wrote that the Hawks were at the top of the Chicago sports heap. He even went so far as to declare that the “Transcendent Cup champs have eclipsed, at least for the moment, even Bears in unifying city."

Sorry, Mr. Haugh, I don’t agree. Chicago is, and will always be, a Bears town. In fact, I would take it a step further and say that the Cubs rank higher popularity-wise in the windy city. Here is how I rank ‘em:

1. Bears
2. Cubs
3. Bulls (tie)
3. Hawks (tie)
5. White Sox (and fading)

I was going to randomly ramble some more, but the Brewer/Pirate game just came on. I am delighted to announce that Craig Coshun is handling the play-by-play while Brian Anderson pursues his national gig on TBS. I hope the Diamondback and Brave fans enjoy him. The can have him.

Hey! The Pirates are wearing their black and mustard uniforms from the ‘70s! They are too sweet. I guess I will watch for a while. Hope it’s a good game, because Monk isn’t on today.

Until next time…from the booth.

No comments: