Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Is Black Really Slimming?

They say that black is a slimming color. Being a man of considerable girth, I certainly hope so. Because if current rumors about Prince Fielder being traded come to fruition I may be sporting a brand new black Chicago White Sox t-shirt.

Tom Haudricourt of the Journal Sentinel reported today that Fox Sports' Ken Rosenthal tweeted today that the White Sox "are trying to accelerate" talks with the Brewers for Fielder.

On Tuesday, Haudricourt reported that he had been told by folks on the Chicago end that the Sox indeed have interest in Fielder. And that the Brewers had not one but two scouts watch young Chicago pitcher Daniel Hudson beat the Mariners on Monday night.

In the same article ESPN's Buster Olney says the Sox are reluctant to include former first-rounder Gordon Beckham, a second baseman/third baseman, in the deal. So it is obvious that there is discussion going on regarding trading my favorite Brewer.

Evidently all that is left is for the aggressive Chicago GM Kenny Williams to put together a package that is attractive enough to make the Brewers' Doug Melvin pull the trigger before the July 31 trading deadline.

That’s just wonderful. The last time I was this upset about a player being traded was in December 6, 1973 when Randy Hundley was traded by the Chicago Cubs to the Minnesota Twins for George Mitterwald. At that time Hundley was my favorite baseball player.

If Fielder is traded to the White Sox, I will become a fan of the Sox. I know, I know, I thought you were a Brewer fan. I am a Brewer fan, but I am also a Prince Fielder fan. Should this transaction take place I will now have an American League team to pull for while I root for Milwaukee in the National League.

I will miss the Prince playing for the Brewers, I really will. If they have to move him because they can’t afford him, I guess the Southside is the best possible place he could end up. I will still be able to follow him on both TV and the radio.


I wonder how Hawk Harrelson would have described this celebration?

It’s a dirty shame that it has to happen, however, the way baseball is currently set-up; no small market team will ever succeed. Not when Alex Rodriguez makes only $5 million less than the entire San Diego Padre team. It's just reality, but it doesn't mean I have to like it. Hopefully black really is a slimming color. Until next time…from the booth.

No comments: