Monday, October 20, 2008

Is Brett a Rat? - A Prelude

Before I comment on Brett Favre's latest alleged miscue, I would like to lay some groundwork. On July 8th I wrote the following column for the Daily Kenoshan. It will give you an idea on my feelings regarding the former Packer great. I will follow up tomorrow with my opinion on the recent turn of events.

Why Brett, Why?

The Green Bay Packers have long been my favorite football team. My first recollections were of the great Lombardi championship teams of the 1960s. They were, in my opinion, the greatest dynasty in the history of the National Football League.

After the glory years came, for lack of a better term, the lean years, beginning with the Dan Devine era and ending with the Lindy Infante regime. I would be remiss if I didn't mention that a couple of coaches named Starr and Gregg were sandwiched in between. Indeed, the teams of the '70s and '80s tested the intestinal fortitude of us loyal fans of the Green and Gold. It's fortunate that Packer fans are a hardy lot and remain faithful and I am no different.

Our continued faithfulness was repaid in the '90s. The "title" was finally put back in Titletown, thanks to the efforts of Ron Wolf and Mike Holmgren. We were rewarded with another Super Bowl victory on January 26, 1997 at the Superdome in Louisiana. The team's good fortune would continue to this day, with varying degrees of success - often going deep into the playoffs.

The one constant ingredient for the Packers during their current streak of prosperity is Brett Favre. General Manager Ron Wolf acquired Favre from the Atlanta Falcons before the 1992 season. I was stunned the first time that I saw him throw the ball downfield during a drill in training camp. What an arm! It was evident that he was something special. Later that same year I was fortunate enough to be sitting in historic Lambeau Field on September 20th.

It was a warm autumn day and the Packers were playing the Cincinnati Bengals. The home team fell behind early and to make matters worse, quarterback Don Majkowski was knocked out of the game in the first quarter. Down 17 to 3, the sellout crew (duh!) grew restless, sensing impending doom.

Enter number four. It wasn't pretty, he fumbled four times and was sacked five times. He did, however, manage to throw for two fourth-quarter touchdowns. The second, a 35-yarder to Kitrick Taylor with 13 seconds left, ended a 92-yard, 54-second drive that Favre engineered with no timeouts remaining. Instantly a legend was born. The victory would help the Packers start building their streak of winning seasons. That game that day sealed the deal for me. I had become a fan of the kid from Kiln, Mississippi.

Being a Brett Favre fan for the past 17 years has been a roller coaster ride, with plenty of ups and downs. Like any good roller coaster ride, it has been plenty exciting. Watching Favre develop, not only as a player, but also as a man, has added to the enjoyment of being a fan of his. Sure, I have had to defend some of his on field and off field decisions over the years. Numerous times a Bear or Viking fan have given me considerable grief when Favre "waffled" on whether or not he would play in 2006 and 2007. Like any good fan, I stood behind my player. He was our quarterback, he was our leader. Hell, he was the Green Bay Packers!

On Tuesday March 4, 2008, a teary eyed Brett Favre finally called it quits. His emotional retirement address was carried live on ABC, CBS, FOX, ESPN, ESPN News and NBC. For the next few months, it was even available "On-Demand" on Time Warner. I know, I watched it several times and endured all the jeers and mocking coming from Favre-haters. Once again I stood by Favre. Retired or not, I was still a fan of his.

It saddens me to say that all of this changed a couple of weeks ago when Favre began to hint that he had the "itch" to play again. WHAT?!? I thought he was mentally tired and couldn't endure the grind any longer. He told me this. I heard him! Through the tears and the sobbing, I heard him! He was retired. He was done. I heard him! With his decision, the Packers had to move in a new direction. The recent draft is evidence of this. But, now this! To make matters worse, Favre uses his brother Scott as his mouthpiece. If I hear one more phone conversation between Scott Favre and WTMJ's Lance Allan, it will be my turn to cry.

Upon hearing of Favre's interest in playing football again, Packer head coach Mike McCarthy responded, "You're putting us in a terrible spot." Sport Illustrated's Peter King has reported that Favre had text messaged Packer General Manager Ted Thompson over the holiday weekend. Wht was Thompson's response to Favre? "I'm on vacation, we'll talk later." To top it all off, we have his mother saying that she feels the Packers haven't really appreciated her son the past couple of years. Bonita, please shut up! That was the proverbial last straw for me.

It comes with a heavy heart, when I say that it is over. I can no longer defend number four. I just can't do it anymore, not when I hear discussion of Favre playing for another NFL team. What if he ends up playing for the Vikings, or heaven forbid - da Bears! Anyone have a Kleenex? Why did you have to tarnish your great legacy? Why Brett, why? Until next time...From The Booth.

No comments: