Monday, April 12, 2010

The Significance of Friends

I just got finished talking with an old friend of mine that I hadn’t spoken with in quite some time. Typically, every six months or so, I give him a call and we catch up on what has happened since the last time we spoke. After that we start reminiscing about the good old softball days. Based on what had taken place this past weekend, I knew that tonight was the time to call this friend. The rollercoaster of events had reminded me just how wonderful friends are and how important it is not to take them for granted.

Saturday afternoon I had received a phone call from another longtime friend that I hadn’t heard from in several years. In the past this friend and I have worked together, played softball together and even shared an apartment for a year. He now lives in Alabama. The reason for the call was because I had asked his sister for some information for my book.

Since her brother could better supply me with the details I was looking for, she decided to get a hold of him and have him call me. And he did just that. I immediately received the information that I was looking for. Then for the next 78 minutes we spoke about everything from family to sports to politics. But the most important thing was that we were talking again after all these years.

Later that night, about 10:30, his sister messaged me on facebook to see if he had called me. I told her to phone me and when she did, she laughed when I told her that we had talked for an hour and twenty minutes. After a short chat, I hung up and decided to get ready to go to bed.

Just as I was about to shut off the MacBook, I received an email from another friend telling me that a mutual friend of ours was in the hospital, having had at least one heart attack. I was devastated. They both live in Michigan and right then I felt a million miles away. After some prayers, I finally drifted off into a restless sleep.

The next day I was able to talk with my Michigan friend and she sounded wonderful! Her daughter sent an email and it sounds like she will be home later this week. After a visit from my brother and his wife, I then spent the rest of Sunday working on my book.

Working on the book gave me reason to call two friends that I had made while attending Gateway. One was a fellow student, while the other was an instructor. Both became friends that I have stayed in touch with over the years and both gave me some helpful advice.

All of this made me realize how truly blessed I was to have so many friends. It even brought to mind that old Girl Scout song with the lyrics: “Make new friends, but keep the old; one is silver and the other is gold.”

When I was much younger, I thought that the song was silly and I would make fun of it. Not any more. It’s not funny or silly. It’s spot on and makes total sense. Friends should be treasured like silver and gold.

In recent years, I have made many new friends via the internet, whether it be on facebook or through my blog, I have many new wonderful friends all over the United States. I have also made some very special friends across the ocean in England to go along with those I made in America. And they are all treasured.

In the song, Friend is a Friend, Pete Townshend writes, “A friend is a friend. Nothing can change that. Arguments, squabbles, can't break the contract.” More words that should be taken to heart. Over time, you will certainly have some friends that will drift away for one reason or another. It just happens.

But you should continue to value these friendships, because they haven’t really ended. I cannot even begin to count the numerous friendships that have been rekindled for me over the past five years. And I am so very thankful for each and every one of them.

No matter where your friends might be, cherish and appreciate them. Talk to them whenever you get the chance and whatever you do, don’t take them for granted. Make them aware just how important they are to you, because you never know when they might be taken from you. I know, because I lost my best friend on February 3rd.

Until next time…from the booth.

5 comments:

Sue said...

Spot on Paul, another well written blog. True friends remain friends even tho they may only speak once a year and will always be there for you. Mother, father, brother, sister, husband, wife, son, daughter etc are also our friends. Your blog posted on the same day my husband lost his mum 5 years ago. You never forget a friend.

Julie Kwiatkowski Schuler said...

Sound advice. Each friend is irreplaceable.

Paul E. Vagnoni said...

Thank you Sue and Julie.

Leplume said...

I agree. Friends are irreplacable and the older I get the more I hold them dear. I have a great friend that I went to school with and though we don't talk to each other that often or see each othe that often, when we do, look out! It's like we just pick up right where we left off each time. He's been my best bud for years. In fact, your post makes me want to go call him right now!

Paul E. Vagnoni said...

Thank you Mary. By the way, did you call him?