Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Here’s The Deal…


One week from today is going to be a special day of sorts for me. A few significant things will be happening on February 13. Here’s the deal; the most important thing is that it is Ash Wednesday, a Christian observance that marks the first day of Lent. It follows Fat Tuesday, which typically features Mardi Gras celebration. It is a time for fasting, abstinence from meat and prayer in preparation for Easter. I do the fasting and no meat thing on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday, with no meat on any Friday during Lent.

Besides the standard dietary adjustments for Lent, I am once again giving up pizza. This has pretty much become a tradition for me. I even “practiced” by abstaining from pizza back in December during Advent. It’s really not that tough for me anymore. The only real problem is deciding where to purchase my final pre-Lent pizza.

Now here’s the deal, this year I’m going to use the blog poll to help me make this crucial decision. The choices are– Luigi’s Pizza Kitchen, Pa’s Pizzeria and Valeo’s Pizza. These are currently my three favorite Kenosha pizza parlors. The poll will be open until Sunday night at 7:00, so please make sure you vote.

It should be noted that in addition to my gastronomic restrictions during Lent, I will also increase my prayer quotient. Starting next Wednesday, I will read the daily Scriptures, say the Rosary along with a couple of chaplets. The plan is to do this each morning either before, or right after breakfast. Ideally, I should be doing this on a daily basis. Hopefully I will be able to continue this practice after Lent.

On a much lesser note, I am also giving up something else for Lent – playing games on Facebook. That’s right, no more Words With Friends, Bejeweled Blitz, Candy Crush Saga, Scrabble® or Song Pop until Easter. So don’t start any new games with me after next Monday!

Okay, Ash Wednesday and the beginning of Lent is one reason why February 13 will be a noteworthy day for me. However, there is another event worthy of attention. Here’s the deal, at 7:00 pm, Survivor: Caramoan – Fans vs. Favorites premiers on CBS. Remarkably, the two-hour special celebrates the 26th season of the award-winning reality show. The Fans vs. Favorites format makes this season opener even more of a red-letter occasion.

Here are the lineups for the two 10 castaway teams:

The Fan tribe, Gota is made up of: Hope Driskill, Eddie Fox, Allie Pohevitz, Michael Snow, Julie Landauer, Matt Bischoff, Reynold Toepfer, Sherri Biethman, Laura Alexander and Shamar Thomas.

The Bikal tribe consists of these Favorites: Corinne Kaplan, Phil Sheppard, Francseca Hogi, Erick Reichenbach, Brenda Lowe, Dawn Meehan, Brandon Hantz, Andrea Boehlke, John Cochran and Mary Beth’s boyfr… oops, Malcolm Freberg.

Speaking of Malcolm’s boyfr… next Wednesday marks the return of the Official Survivor Recap Trilogy featuring my talented friends, Mary Beth and Jamie. This will be the fourth season that this sharp-witted duo joins me in writing the recap. This is just one more reason that February 13 is a day to look forward to.

To recap, first of all, help me choose where I should purchase my final pre-Lent pizza by casting your vote in the poll. Secondly, finish all your Facebook games with me by next Tuesday. Next, don’t forget to set your DVR or TiVo for CBS at 7:00 pm on February 13.

Finally, there is one other thing for you if you are still in need of something to do. After next Wednesday, there is only one short month until I get my rather sizable head shaved to raise money for St. Baldrick’s Foundation’s fight against childhood cancer. Forty generous people have already stepped forward and sponsored me. If you can find it in your heart to help, click on this sentence to be linked to my donation page. Thanks.

Until next time…from the booth.

No comments: