Monday, January 17, 2011

Meatballs

Next Sunday, January 23, 2011, the Green Bay Packers will travel to Chicago to take on the Bears in the NFC championship game. The last time these two teams met in the postseason was December 14, 1941 in a Divisional playoff game. That was over 69 years ago. That was exactly one week after the Imperial Japanese Navy attacked the United States Naval base at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. You get my point; it was a long time ago.

Despite the historic value of this game will, it hasn’t stopped the “meatballs” from doing their best to taint the event. Postings on facebook and comments being made on various sports talk shows have made me vomit in my mouth.

A longtime friend and Bear fan posted this on facebook: “Biggest Chicago Bears 1st half playoff game lead since 1941 playoff game vs. Packers, won by The Beloved 33-14.”

To which I responded: “Thanks for not saying "We", Randy.”

When he asked, “Paul, that is your big pet peeve, isn't it?” I answered, “Randy, when I see someone say, "We're kicking their ass", you don't know how bad I want to ask them what position they play. I have been very good and have restrained myself thus far.”

The “We” stuff is most prevalent on the radio. Here is a sample of the moronic comments being made.

We played the Packers and lost 10-7, but We didn’t even have our base packages in there.”

We gonna beat those guys, We looked pretty awesome today. Green Bay gotta look out for us.”

We stopped Rodgers when he had to win. We held him to 10 points.”

Don’t think the “We” comments were limited to the radio callers. Here are a few facebook postings:

“That’s why We won the division!”

We are kicking their ass.”

We are gonna kick the crap out of the Packers.”

We want bird or bear don't matter.”

The last post shows you that I wasn’t picking on the Bear fans. There are “meatballs’ from either side of the Cheddar Curtain throwing the “We” word around in a very cavalier fashion.

I will quit bitching about these “meatballs” as soon as one of them tells me what position they play or how long they have been coaching their team.

I will say with a great amount of certainty that not one of them has ever caught a pass, made a tackle or called a play for either the Packers or the Bears. So, please give me a break and quit using “We”, unless you have done so.

Although the Packers are the only publically owned team, there is nothing wrong referring to your favorite team as “mine” or “my team” even though you don’t actually own the team. Just quit using the “We” word. Please.

I leave you with a few unedited facebook gems from the "meatballs":

“yeeeeaaaah baaaaaaaabe!!! another victorious win for the bears!!! sorry seattle u gotta go and 4 all u packer fans ill tell u the same thing next week. Super bowl bound chicago bears.”

“Can't we all just agree that Green Bay is the suckiest sucks whoever sucked? I would go on but my damn wiener kid is listening.”

“Packers did not win, they were given the game, on interception....a little like kissing your sister...if the packers were any good they should have said…hey let me win by playing real football not coward football! Take that you Packer Mamby Pandys!”

Until next time…from the booth.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is the week that the Green Bay Packers become the Green PayBackers. 69 years I ben waitin' for this and now it's finally arrived. Finally, that beloved '41 team of mine is avenged. Baby Ray and I might be down at The Clubhouse, signing flats only, Saturday night. See you there, maybe. Kool Papa

Anonymous said...

Gotta admit... The suckiest sucks that ever sucked is kinda funny!!

Paul E. Vagnoni said...

Kool Papa! What about Tracy? Can you get him to show up as well? Have him bring his helmet in a can.

Leplume said...

Hmm, I know you hate this but I am a "we" person. Sorry....

But you see, I put my heart, soul, and voice into every single game the Pack plays. My cheers are just as much a part of their games as any pass Rodgers throws or sack Matthews gets. So hell yeah.. "WE" are gonna kick some ass! LOL

I can't wait for this game. I might need emergency medical attention on stand by! LOL

Paul E. Vagnoni said...

Well Mary Beth, what can I say? Now, besides being a Fellow Survivor Geek, you are officially a "Polish Meatball" as well!